Miriam Pepperell1

F, #2901, b. 3 September 1694
     Miriam Pepperell was born on 3 September 1694 in Kittery, Maine.2 She was the daughter of Lt. Col. Wiliam Pepperrell and Margery Bray.1 Miriam Pepperell is also recorded as Miriam Tyler in her mother's will.


  1. [S24] Sarah Elizabeth Titcomb, Early New England People, p. 265.
  2. [S383] Usher Parsons, The life of Sir William Pepperrell, p. 16.

Andrew Pepperrell1

M, #11133

Child of Andrew Pepperrell


  1. [S83] NEHGR, Vol. 96 p. 91.

Mary Pepperrell1

F, #13216
     Mary Pepperrell married Hon. John Frost, son of (unknown) Frost.

Child of Mary Pepperrell and Hon. John Frost


  1. [S157] Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Descendants of Francis Higginson, p. 15.

Mary Hurst McIntosh Pepperrell1

F, #18120, d. 4 February 1839
     Mary Hurst McIntosh Pepperrell was the daughter of Sir William Pepperell Sparhawk and Elizabeth Royall.1 Mary Hurst McIntosh Pepperrell married William Congreve on 11 July 1799.1 Mary Hurst McIntosh Pepperrell died on 4 February 1839 s.p.1


  1. [S383] Usher Parsons, The life of Sir William Pepperrell, p. 340.

Lt. Col. Wiliam Pepperrell1

M, #695, b. 5 September 1648, d. 15 February 1733/34
     Lt. Col. Wiliam Pepperrell was baptised on 5 September 1648 at Yealmpton, Devon, England.2 He was the son of Andrew Pepperrell.2 Lt. Col. Wiliam Pepperrell emigrated to the Isle of Shoales at the age of 22, where he was engaged in the exportation of fish to the Southern and European markets. He afterwards removed to Kittery Point and became largely concerned in shipping and mercantile matters.1 He married Margery Bray, daughter of John Bray.1 For thirty-five years he held the office of Justice of the Peace and for many years was a judge of the Court of Common Pleas.1 Lt. Col. Wiliam Pepperrell died on 15 February 1733/34 at the age of 85.1

Children of Lt. Col. Wiliam Pepperrell and Margery Bray


  1. [S24] Sarah Elizabeth Titcomb, Early New England People, p. 265.
  2. [S83] NEHGR, Vol. 96 p. 91.
  3. [S5] William Darcy McKeough, McKeough Family Tree.

William Pepperrell1,2

M, #699, b. 26 May 1726, d. February 1727
     William Pepperrell was born on 26 May 1726 in Kittery, Maine.3 He was the son of Sir William Pepperrell and Mary Hirst.1 William Pepperrell died in February 1727.3


  1. [S5] William Darcy McKeough, McKeough Family Tree.
  2. [S24] Sarah Elizabeth Titcomb, Early New England People, p. 265.
  3. [S383] Usher Parsons, The life of Sir William Pepperrell, p. 39.

William Pepperrell1

M, #18119, d. 1809
     William Pepperrell was the son of Sir William Pepperell Sparhawk and Elizabeth Royall.1 William Pepperrell died in 1809 in Isle of White.1


  1. [S383] Usher Parsons, The life of Sir William Pepperrell, p. 339.

Sir William Pepperrell1

M, #254, b. 27 June 1696, d. 6 July 1759
     Sir William Pepperrell was born on 27 June 1696 in Kittery Point, Massachusetts, (now Maine.) He was the son of Lt. Col. Wiliam Pepperrell and Margery Bray.2 Entering his father's counting-house at early age, the young William Pepperrell was forced by the death of his older brother in 1713 to assume much of the burden of the family business. By about 1730 the entire direction of the firm of "Messrs. William Pepperrell" was in his care. At that time the firm had 30 or 35 vessels under its management, and had a minor share in the ownership of a number of others. They ranged in size from small sloops to a brigantine of 110 tons and the ship Eagle, 180 tons. For the most part, the Pepperrell vessels shuttled back and forth from Kittery, northeast to Newfoundland, south to Virginia and Maryland and to the sugar islands - usually Antigua or Barbados - and across the Atlantic to Lisbon, Cadiz, the Canary Islands, Madeira, and England, in a pattern resembling the ribs of a Chinese fan. Unlike the vessels, the commodities in which the Pepperrells dealt followed labyrinthine lines that crossed and cris-crossed in a variety of geometric patterns.

Basic to the Pepperrells trade were two native products, lumber and fish, that were in widespread demand. Newfoundland, where they traded with William Keen and others, offered a ready market for pine boards and planks, oak staves and hoops, for rum, molasses, and sugar brought from the West Indies, and for tobacco, naval stores, livestock, and provisions that had come from North Carolina and the Chesapeake region. The return cargoes from Newfoundland consisted of English goods — textiles, cutlery, ironware, clothing and shoes, luxury goods such as silks, wines and brandy (which hinted at an illicit trade between Newfoundland and the Continent), and finally marine supplies for the New England shipping industry. Non-commodity returns — namely, money, bills of exchange, and passengers — were an important item in the Pepperrell ledger. Not all the passengers were emigrants deserting the Newfoundland fishing settlements; many of them were masters and crews of New England vessels that had been sold at the island. The same type of lumber cargoes that were shipped to Newfoundland comprised, with the addition of fish (cod, mackerel, and haddock), the outbound cargoes to the West Indies and to Spain and Portugal. For a number of years William Pepperrell owned an interest in fishing boats operating out of Canso, Nova Scotia, and Port-Toulouse. Later, the firm purchased its fish cargoes at Marblehead and Newburyport, Massachusetts, nearer home. It was not unusual for the Pepperrells to switch the direction of their trade back and forth according to the circumstances of the moment. If one general characteristic typified Pepperrell s business activities, it was diversification and flexibility, made possible by the many vessels in which he held a controlling share. Much of the surplus capital that came to the Pepperrells from their mercantile pursuits was invested in England, left on deposit with their London bankers. Surplus profits accumulated in New England were invested in loans and real estate. The Pepperrells became the neighbourhood bankers. William inherited from his father most of the harbourside land at Kittery Point and sizeable holdings in York and Saco. Later he acquired the larger part of present-day Saco and Scarborough, Maine, and eventually his land holdings, although by no means the largest in New England, lay scattered along the coast from Kittery to what is now Portland.

In Kittery, as elsewhere in coastal New England, shipping was a source of wealth, but landownership represented gentility and status, which in turn brought responsibility in the shape of public office and military command. In Kittery, the Pepperrells were one of nine families who constituted the "better sort" and among whom town and provincial offices were passed around and handed down from father to son and grandson. It was natural, therefore, that William Pepperrell in 1720, at the age of 24, should be chosen to represent Kittery in the provincial assembly. In 1724 and 1726 he was again chosen, to represent the town in Boston. Then, in 1727, at the age of 31, he was appointed by Governor William Dummer to a place on the Massachusetts Council board. It speaks well for Pepperrell s prudence and tact that he retained his seat on the council throughout the turbulent politics of the next 32 years, under five different governors. For 18 of these years he presided over the council, where he soon established a reputation as an expert on military and Indian affairs. He also attended all the treaty conferences with the eastern Indians for almost 30 years. When Indians complained against the prices charged by the truckmasters at the forts or when settlers charged the Indians with depredations, Pepperrell was generally on the investigating committee.

In 1725 Pepperrell was appointed a judge on the York County Court and five years later he was elevated to chief justice. Like his colleagues on the bench, he was untrained in the law, but, from the point of view of the times, his qualifications were outstanding. His business experience gave him the competence to sit in judgement on many of the matters that came before the court; his fairness and personal integrity were unquestioned; and his rank and standing in the community brought respect and deference that gave added weight to his judicial decisions. Most of the cases were simple matters, but an ordinary action of trespass that came before Pepperrell in 1734 ended as one of the most celebrated legal battles of colonial times, Frost v. Leighton, a landmark in defiance against royal authority over the colonial timberlands.

Sometime in the 1720s William Pepperrell succeeded his father as colonel of the York County regiment of militia, in command of the entire region from the Piscataqua River to the Canadian border. Until the spring of 1744 the frontiers were nominally at peace and Pepperrell s military duties were not too exacting, although there were alarms and incidents that kept the eastern outposts in an almost constant state of readiness. When war broke out in 1739 between England and Spain, Pepperrell summoned all the militia officers to a meeting at Falmouth (present-day Portland, Maine) to discuss problems of organization, discipline, and equipment. Vacancies in the ranks were filled, new companies were added to the regiment, and a new regiment was formed out of the militia from Falmouth eastward. Adopting a report of the council drafted by Pepperrell, the Massachusetts assembly voted funds to strengthen the harbour defences of Boston, Salem, Marble head, and the other coastal towns. In the fall of 1743, when the situation became more threatening, Governor William Shirley notified Pepperrell that word of an imminent break with France had arrived from England. He directed Pepperrell "forthwith" to warn and secure the exposed frontier settlements against any sudden assault. Seven months later, on 12 May 1744, as a merchantman from Glasgow was entering Boston harbour with the long-expected news that France had declared war, a small French flotilla commanded by Joseph Du PONT Duvivier sailed from Louisbourg to attack the English settlement at Canso, which quickly fell to the superior French force. In August the French and their Indian allies attacked - this time unsuccessfully - the important English defence outpost at Annapolis Royal. Before the year was out, Governor Shirley had become convinced that the defence of Annapolis Royal, indeed the security of all New England, required the reduction of the French stronghold at Louisburg.

On several past occasions when war had threatened, a number of colonials and a few Englishmen - among them William Pepperrell and Commodore Peter Warren - had set forth the idea of an assault on Louisburg, but all the advocates had visualized an expedition from England with the colonies taking a minor role. Now Governor Shirley was audaciously proposing that it be a colonial undertaking, financed, directed, and carried out by the colonies alone, with perhaps some support from the British naval units stationed in American waters. Initially, the Massachusetts General Court had no more enthusiasm for a colonial expedition than there had been in England for an English expedition, but thanks to the influence and efforts of Pepperrell and other zealots such as William Vaughan and John Bradstreet, the General Court eventually voted to enlist 3,000 volunteers and to provide whatever was necessary for the expedition. As chairman of the joint committee of the house and council that drew up the resolution for the expedition, Pepperrell helped to influence the General Court s decision. William Pepperrell was the logical choice to command the forces. The task of raising an army, keeping it intact, maintaining a respectable standard of discipline, and keeping relations with the Royal Navy on an even keel demanded those personal qualities for which he was noted. Pepperrell at first declined Shirley s offer to command the expedition, but within a day or two he accepted the appointment. His long career as colonel of militia had made him thoroughly familiar with the problems of military administration and command, but Pepperrell (and more particularly his battalion majors) would have been in considerable difficulty if it had become necessary to put the troops through the intricate manoeuvres by which an 18th-century army was deployed into line of battle. But they were not counting on meeting the French in the open field; the problem was to assault a fortress. The plan of assault which Pepperrell took with him to Louisburg had been drafted by Shirley, possibly with the aid of Philip Durrell and John Henry Bastide. It called for a surprise attack on the fortress, but authorized Pepperrell to act at his discretion should unforeseen circumstances arise.

On 24 March 1744/45 the Massachusetts forces sailed from Boston for Canso, where they arrived on 4 April. They were joined there by smaller contingents from New Hampshire and Connecticut and by a naval squadron from the West Indies under the command of Commodore Peter Warren. Estimates of the total number of New Englanders who eventually faced the French at Louisburg range up to some 4,300 men; probably the effective strength at any one time amounted to half that figure. After stopping at Canso for some three weeks, the New England forces arrived off Louisburg early on 30 April. With the help of good luck, good weather, and good boatmanship, nearly 2,000 men gained the beach at the head of Gabarus Bay within the space of eight or ten hours. No opposition was met until the first troops were on shore, when a small French detachment under the command of Pierre Morpain made an ineffective sortie. By this time, Pepperrell had shelved the original plan and adopted as an alternative a formal siege, a highly standardized process of advancing guns and men up to the walls in a series of parallel trenches connected by zigzag approaches. The New Englanders, however, astounded the French by dragging their heavy cannon through a marsh considered impassable, and then moving the guns into position under cover of night and fog instead of first digging trenches to protect the advance. The second morning after the landing, a small party under William Vaughan discovered that one of the key points of the defences - the Grand (Royal) battery — had been abandoned. Vaughan occupied it, and soon the guns of the battery were brought into action against the town.

Although the New England army had its share of chronic grumblers and malcontents, during most of the siege the men faced the dangers and hardships bravely and light-heartedly. Plundering in the countryside around Louisburg was a troublesome problem for the New England commanders, however, particularly during the early days. Several unsuccessful and costly attacks against the Island battery, which commanded the harbour entrance, brought matters to a standstill, and as the siege went into its fourth week the morale of the New Englanders sank very low. But at a certain point, according to the formula of 18th-century siege warfare, the defenders of a fortress would know whether they must capitulate. When the New England forces established a battery on Lighthouse Point, overlooking the Island battery, the French position became untenable. The harbour lay open to Warren's fleet and on 15 June the acting governor Louis Du Pont Duchambon decided to ask for terms. Negotiations ended on the afternoon of 17 June when, after a siege of seven weeks, Louisburg surrendered. The terms of the capitulation included permission for the officers and townspeople to remain in their homes and to enjoy the free exercise of their religion until they could sail for France, and a guarantee that no personal property would be disturbed. The reduction of the French stronghold set all the church bells in Boston ringing, produced applause in London, and brought fame and honour to William Pepperrell. As a reward for merit, King George II commissioned Pepperrell colonel in command of a regiment in the regular army the 66th Regiment of Foot — and conferred on him a baronetcy. But to the rank and file of the army at Louisburg, the surrender presented no great cause for rejoicing. Disgruntled at being denied plunder — especially since the fleet had taker several rich prizes - and discouraged at the prospect of having to remain on garrison duty, some of the troops threatened to lay down their arms moreover, relations between the land and sea forces deteriorated. Minor differences between Pepperrell and Warren during the siege and at the time of surrender were magnified in camp rumours into an attempt by Warren to claim chief credit for the victory, and were further exaggerated in Boston. The troops were not appeased until a large pay increase was promised them and reinforcements began to arrive. Sir William Pepperrell, as he now was, remained in Louisburg until late May 1746. He served jointly with Warren in administering the affairs of the town and garrison, and spent much of his time on matters relating to his regiment. The major problem during the winter and spring was disease among the troops. Estimates of the number of deaths range from 1,200 to 2,000.

On his return to New England, Sir William resumed his seat on the council board and prepared to live the life of a country squire at Kittery. When the provincial government appealed to the Privy Council for reimbursement of the costs of the expedition, Pepperrell and Warren were called upon to examine and verify all the accounts. in the fall of 1749 Sir William went to England, where for a year he was something of a lion. His old comrade-in-arms, Peter Warren, welcomed him cordially; the city of London presented him with a handsome silver service, and he made his appearance at court. By this time, however, the treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle (1748) had undone his great achievement by returning Louisburg to the French. Colonials, including Pepperrell, were bitter. His regiment disbanded, Pepperrell returned to New England in October 1750, and settled down in his mansion overlooking the harbour at Kittery. He had no intention of resuming his mercantile career, but the death in 1751 of his son Andrew, who had been managing the business for some years, forced Sir William to take the helm again. In 1754, when a frontier incident on the western slopes of the Allegheny Mountains Joseph Coulon de Villiers) ushered in the Seven Years War in America, Pepperrell s regimen was restored to the army list as the 5 1st; but for Sir William the war was an anticlimax. Although plagued by ill health, he had hoped to lead his regiment against the French at Fort Niagara (near Youngstown, N.Y.), but his promotion to major general in June 1755 meant, according to General Edward Braddock, the British commander in North America, that he could not "with an propriety" take the field as colonel of his regiment.

Pepperrell returned to Boston from his reg mental headquarters in New York and resume his seat on the Massachusetts Council. After the death of Lieutenant Governor Spencer Phips the spring of 1757, Sir William served as acting governor of Massachusetts for four months until the arrival of the new governor, Thomas Pownall. The aging conqueror of Louisburg lived to see Jeffery Amherst and James Wolfe, with 9,000 British regulars and 40 ships of war, duplicate his feat in 1758. The following year Pepperrell became the only native American to receive a commission as lieutenant-general in the British army. The honour came almost too late, for by May he was dangerously ill.

Although Amherst and Wolfe won a measure of acclaim from colonials for their exploits at Louisburg and Quebec, Sir William Pepperrell was, to the post-1745 generation of Americans, the foremost military figure of the colonies. For 30 years his fame endured, until a famous musket shot on Lexington Green created a whole new set of heroes. Byron Fairchild in Dictionary of Canadian Biography.3 Sir William Pepperrell married Mary Hirst, daughter of Grove Hirst and Elizabeth Sewall, on 21 February 1722/23 by Judge Sewall. (16 Mar 1723/24 according to Titcomb p. 265.)4 Sir William Pepperrell died on 6 July 1759 in Kittery Point, Maine, at the age of 63.2

Children of Sir William Pepperrell and Mary Hirst


  1. [S24] Sarah Elizabeth Titcomb, Early New England People, p. 265.
  2. [S5] William Darcy McKeough, McKeough Family Tree.
  3. [S58] Various Editors, Dictionary of Canadian Biography, v. III p.505 article by Brian Fairchild.
  4. [S25] Samuel Sewall, Diary of Samuel Sewall (1973 ed.), p. 1087.

Christian Percival1

F, #11516, d. after 7 June 1577
     Christian Percival was the daughter of Edmund Percival and Elizabeth Yorke.1 Christian Percival married Richard Lowell circa 1570.1,2 Christian Percival died after 7 June 1577.2

Child of Christian Percival and Richard Lowell


  1. [S132] Gary Boyd Roberts, The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants, p. 332.
  2. [S224] Society for Medieval Genealogy, Direct Descendants of Aline de Gai, 7 May 2005.

Edmund Percival1

M, #11517, b. circa 1506, d. 21 September 1551
     Of Weston-in-Gordano, Somerset.2 Edmund Percival was born circa 1506.3 He married Elizabeth Yorke, daughter of Roger Yorke and Eleanor Luttrell, before 1535.1,3 Edmund Percival died on 21 September 1551.3

Child of Edmund Percival and Elizabeth Yorke


  1. [S132] Gary Boyd Roberts, The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants, p. 332.
  2. [S34] Unverified internet information, RootsWeb: GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Percival Lowell's Royal Ancestry. Posting by Douglas Richardson. http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2004-01/…
  3. [S224] Society for Medieval Genealogy, Direct Descendants of Aline de Gai, 7 May 2005.

Augustus Perham1

M, #12733, b. 24 October 1832, d. 24 October 1832
     Augustus Perham died on 24 October 1832 in Hallowell, Maine.2 He was born on 24 October 1832 in Hallowell, Maine.2 He was the son of Josiah L. Perham and Esther Sewall.1


  1. [S153] Charles Nelson Sinnett, Sinnett's Sewall genealogy, p. 56.
  2. [S364] Eben Graves, The descendants of Henry Sewall. Vol. II (Unpublished), #177.

Charles Sewall Perham1

M, #12734, b. 21 February 1834, d. 22 October 1897
     Charles Sewall Perham was born on 21 February 1834.1 He was the son of Josiah L. Perham and Esther Sewall.1 Charles Sewall Perham was christened in February 1835 at Hallowell, Kennebec County.2 He married Abbie F. Hersey on 17 May 1866 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.3 Charles Sewall Perham died on 22 October 1897 in Los Angeles City, Los Angeles County, California, at the age of 63.4


  1. [S153] Charles Nelson Sinnett, Sinnett's Sewall genealogy, p. 56.
  2. [S89] Family Search, Vital records of Hallowell, Maine, to the year 1892 Hall, Mabel Goodwin.
  3. [S89] Family Search, Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915.
  4. [S89] Family Search, California Deaths and Burials, 1776-2000.

Elijah Perham1

M, #12732, b. 27 August 1831, d. 7 January 1868
     Elijah Perham was born on 27 August 1831.1 He was the son of Josiah L. Perham and Esther Sewall.1 Elijah Perham died on 7 January 1868 at the age of 36.1


  1. [S153] Charles Nelson Sinnett, Sinnett's Sewall genealogy, p. 56.

Elizabeth Perham1

F, #15872, b. June 1832
     Elizabeth Perham was christened in June 1832 at Hallowell, Kennebec County.1 She was the daughter of Josiah L. Perham and Esther Sewall.1


  1. [S89] Family Search, Vital records of Hallowell, Maine, to the year 1892 Hall, Mabel Goodwin.

Ester Frances Perham1

F, #12735, b. 28 September 1835
     Ester Frances Perham was born on 28 September 1835.1 She was the daughter of Josiah L. Perham and Esther Sewall.1 Ester Frances Perham was christened on 26 June 1836 at Hallowell, Kennebec County.2 She married John E. Purley on 27 May 1856 in Wilton, Franklin County, Maine.3


  1. [S153] Charles Nelson Sinnett, Sinnett's Sewall genealogy, p. 56.
  2. [S89] Family Search, Vital records of Hallowell, Maine, to the year 1892 Hall, Mabel Goodwin.
  3. [S89] Family Search, Town and vital records, 1803-1891 Wilton (Maine). Town Clerk.

James Cullen Perham1

M, #4874, b. 20 December 1867, d. 25 August 1940
     James Cullen Perham was born on 20 December 1867 in Chelmsford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.2,3 He married Amy Wood Marshall, daughter of Eben Russell Marshall and Lucy Elizabeth Hazen, on 13 December 1893 in Worcester County, Massachusetts.2,1 James Cullen Perham and Amy Wood Marshall appear on the census of 1940 at Glenville Town, Schenectady County, New York.4 James Cullen Perham died on 25 August 1940 in Scotia, Schenectady, New York, at the age of 72.5

Resident's Father Dies
The Rev. and Mrs. Herbert S. Roberts and daughter, Miriam, were called to Scotia yesterday afternoon by the sudden death of Mrs. Roberts’ father, James Cullen Perham. Mr. Perham had been a patient in Ellis Hospital, Schenectady, for the past few weeks, and although his condition had been serious death was not foreseen.
Seventy-three years of age, he had been employed by the General Electric Company until 1931, when he was retired.
Born in Chelmsford, Mass., on his family's ancestral farm, he attended Phillips Academy al Andover. Mass., and Worcester Polytechnic Institute. After his schooling he taught mathematics in Weston Springs. Ill., worked for a while in Aurora. Ill., and in 1896 became employed in the General Electric Company in Schenectady, where he remained 35 years.
Mr. Perham was an outstanding worker in the Boy Scout organization and was presented the Silver Bearer award, highest Boy Scout honor. He was a member of the I.O.O.F. and the Scotia Reformed Church.
Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Amy W. Marshall Perham; a daughter, Mrs. Herbert S. Roberts of Fultonville; a brother, Walter Perham, Chelmsford, Mass., and a granddaughter, Miriam E. Roberts, Fultonville. Amsterdam N.Y. Evening Recorder, 26 August 1940.5

Child of James Cullen Perham and Amy Wood Marshall


  1. [S89] Family Search, Massachusetts Marriages, 1841-1915.
  2. [S4] Sandra MacLean Clunies, Clunies files.
  3. [S89] Family Search, Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1626-2001.
  4. [S585] 1940 US Census, Scotia, Glenville Town, Schenectady, New York.
  5. [S205] Newspaper, Amsterdam N.Y. Evening Recorder, 26 August 1940.

Josiah Perham1

M, #17795
     Josiah Perham married Elizabeth Gould.1

Child of Josiah Perham and Elizabeth Gould


  1. [S89] Family Search, Town and vital records, 1803-1891 Wilton (Maine).

Josiah L. Perham1

M, #12731, b. 31 January 1803, d. 22 October 1868
     Josiah L. Perham was born on 31 January 1803 in Wilton, Franklin County, Maine.2 He was the son of Josiah Perham and Elizabeth Gould.2 Josiah L. Perham married Esther Sewall, daughter of Rev. Samuel Sewall and Abigail Trask, on 6 September 1830 in Farmington, Maine, and the following day at Hallowell, Maine. The groom's first name is variously recorded as Josiah, Joshua or Joseph.3,4 Josiah L. Perham died on 22 October 1868 at the age of 65.5

Children of Josiah L. Perham and Esther Sewall


  1. [S89] Family Search, Vital records of Hallowell, Maine, to the year 1892 Hall, Mabel Goodwin.
  2. [S89] Family Search, Town and vital records, 1803-1891 Wilton (Maine).
  3. [S34] Unverified internet information, http://www.rootsweb.com/~mefrankl/fmarqs.htm
  4. [S205] Newspaper, Boston Recorder, 15 September 1830.
  5. [S153] Charles Nelson Sinnett, Sinnett's Sewall genealogy, p. 55.
  6. [S153] Charles Nelson Sinnett, Sinnett's Sewall genealogy, p. 56.

Philenia Mitchell Perham1

F, #12737, b. 3 October 1837, d. 25 January 1872
     Philenia Mitchell Perham was born on 3 October 1837.2 She was the daughter of Josiah L. Perham and Esther Sewall.2 Philenia Mitchell Perham was christened in 1838 at Hallowell, Kennebec County.1 She died on 25 January 1872 at the age of 34.2


  1. [S89] Family Search, Vital records of Hallowell, Maine, to the year 1892 Hall, Mabel Goodwin.
  2. [S153] Charles Nelson Sinnett, Sinnett's Sewall genealogy, p. 56.

(stillborn daughter) Perkins1

F, #7389, b. 1869
     (stillborn daughter) Perkins was born in 1869.1 She was the daughter of George Chellis Perkins and Adah Adelia Jewett.1


  1. [S4] Sandra MacLean Clunies, Clunies files.

Barbara Higginson Perkins

F, #15453, b. 1796, d. 1822
     Barbara Higginson Perkins was born in 1796. She was the daughter of Samuel Gardner Perkins and Barbara Cooper Higginson. Barbara Higginson Perkins married Dr. Walter Channing. Barbara Higginson Perkins died in 1822.

Elizabeth Perkins1

F, #13218, b. 1747, d. 19 July 1791
     Elizabeth Perkins was born in 1747.1 She was the daughter of James Perkins and Joanna Mascarene.1 Elizabeth Perkins married Hon. Stephen Higginson, son of Judge Stephen Higginson and Elizabeth Cabot, on 18 June 1789 in Boston.1 Elizabeth Perkins died on 19 July 1791 in Boston, Massachusetts.1


  1. [S157] Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Descendants of Francis Higginson, p. 21.

Elizabeth Perkins1

F, #15005, b. 17 March 1791, d. 2 March 1885
     Elizabeth Perkins was born on 17 March 1791.2 She was the daughter of Col. Thomas Handasyd Perkins.3 Elizabeth Perkins married Samuel Cabot in 1812.4 Elizabeth Perkins died on 2 March 1885 at the age of 93.2

Children of Elizabeth Perkins and Samuel Cabot


  1. [S149] American Ancestors, , Massachusetts Vital Records 1841–1910.
  2. [S392] Website findagrave.com (http://www.findagrave.com/) "#59685874."
  3. [S83] NEHGR, Vol. 76, p. 214.
  4. [S242] L. Vernon Briggs, Genealogy of the Cabot family, p. 220.

George Chellis Perkins1

M, #7388, b. 1839, d. 1921
     George Chellis Perkins was born in 1839.1 He married Adah Adelia Jewett, daughter of Calvin Dimick Jewett and Louisa Ruth Kendall.1 George Chellis Perkins died in 1921.1

Children of George Chellis Perkins and Adah Adelia Jewett


  1. [S4] Sandra MacLean Clunies, Clunies files.

George W. Perkins

M, #19385
     George W. Perkins was the son of George W. Perkins. George W. Perkins graduated in 1917 from Princeton. He married secondly Linn Merck, daughter of George W. Merck, in December 1921.

George W. Perkins

M, #19386
     George W. Perkins. Partner in J.P. Morgan.

Child of George W. Perkins

Gertrude F. Perkins1

F, #7390, b. 1877
     Gertrude F. Perkins was born in 1877.1 She was the daughter of George Chellis Perkins and Adah Adelia Jewett.1


  1. [S4] Sandra MacLean Clunies, Clunies files.

Henry Perkins1

M, #10009
     Henry Perkins married Elizabeth Sawbridge.1

Child of Henry Perkins and Elizabeth Sawbridge


  1. [S99] Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration begins, Perkins.

Jacob Perkins1

M, #7530, b. 12 July 1624, d. 29 January 1700
     Jacob Perkins was baptised on 12 July 1624 at Hillmorton, Warwickshire.2 He was the son of John Perkins and Judith Gater.1 Jacob Perkins married Elizabeth Lovell, daughter of Thomas Lovell, before 1649 (Anderson avoids giving the surname) their eldest child was born 1 April 1649.1,2 Jacob Perkins died on 29 January 1700 in Ipswich, Massachusetts, at the age of 75.1


  1. [S62] William Richard Cutter, New England Families, p. 256.
  2. [S99] Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration begins, Perkins.

James Perkins1

M, #6722
     Of Boston.

Child of James Perkins


  1. [S18] Various editors, Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans, vol. 2 p. 265.